These Fajita bowls will be a favorite in your household! Delicious & Nutritious, this dish is sure to fill you up with all the good stuff. Loaded with fiber, protein, and healthy fats to nourish your body and satisfy those cravings. This recipe calls for the freshest ingredients to pack flavor in every bite! Okay, I don’t know about you, but I’m hungry now so let’s get cookin’
Full disclosure: I accidentally bought creamed corn instead of whole corn. Although it didn’t completely ruin the dish, don’t be like me and just get the whole kernel. Also, I wanted to add some tortilla strips, but the store was fresh out so I tossed some crispy onion salad toppers on instead. Get creative & use what you got!
- 1 pack of seasoned precut steak strips OR you can use chicken
- Shredded Lettuce
- 1 can black beans
- 2 Peppers (red, yellow or orange)
- 1 Yellow Onion
- Green Onion (chives)
- Sour Cream (Can substitue with plain greek yogurt seasoned)
- Shredded Cheese
- 1 Can whole corn
- 1 cup brown rice (optional to add broth to simmer in flavor or for low carb substitute for cauliflower rice)
- 1 Avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- Optional tortilla strips
Follow these easy steps:
- Brown Rice will take the longest to prepare, so get this started first. Boil water and simmer rice until cooked. Keep on the lowest setting and pour in chicken or bone broth and let it soak into the rice while you’re cooking the rest of the meal. This will add flavor and fluff it up.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Slice onion into strips add onions and garlic to hot pan. When onions start to brown, add in sliced peppers and cook until softer. I like to add some salt, pepper, lemon and lime juice to this as it’s cooking. Also a tablespoon of water will steam the veggies for a nice crispy crunch
- Prepare the toppings: layout your toppings buffet. Slice avocado, chop cilantro and chives, layout lettuce, sour cream, and shredded cheese
- Heat the corn and black beans in separate dish
- Since the steak cooks relatively fast, leave this for one of the last items to prepare. This will make sure the meat doesn’t overcook and stays tender. Heat olive oil in a pan until hot with garlic and other seasonings (if not already pre-seasoned)
- Start making the bowl while the steak finishes cooking. Start with rice at the base to soak up flavor, add onions & peppers, with corn and beans. Then add steak and head over to your topping buffet for the rest. Add a light sprinkle of cilantro and dig in!
Low Carb Substitutions:
For a healthier low-carb dish, replace brown rice with cauliflower rice and skip the tortilla chips. Serving traditional dishes in a bowl vs a tortilla/wrap will also reduce the carbohydrate contents! The goal for any healthy recipe is to reduce the overall sugar (carbohydrate, especially refined) content while ensuring you’re getting a wholesome serving of fiber, protein, and healthy fats.
Speaking of fats, sour cream tends to be high in saturated fat. Substituting sour cream with plain Greek yogurt will reduce the fat and calorie content while increasing protein. Depending on your individual health goals, both sour cream & greek yogurt have can offer health benefits. However, greek yogurt is much better for gut flora since it also contains probiotics.